Food Business Registration

An assortment of dumplings

Have you become a food business owner?

Business registration

If you have purchased an existing food business in Broken Hill you should notify Council at your earliest convenience. You may also wish to consider:

  • Liaising with the previous owners to discuss any previous requests from Council, including construction issues
  • Ensuring you meet the Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) requirements
  • Updating the business's FSS details, online.
  • Registering your food business with Council

Registration with Council

If you are considering opening a new food business, the Food Act requires that all permanent, mobile and temporary food businesses be registered with the relevant authorities prior to commencing trade. All food businesses must also notify Council if any of the following details change; proprietor's name, business address, trading name of the food business, contact details or ABN details. To register your food business with Broken Hill City Council, please complete the Food and Health Premises Registation/Change of Details Application and submit it to Council prior to commencing any food handling operations.

Food Premises Construction and Fit Out

If you are lodging a Development Application for a new food premises, or planning major construction and fit out changes to an existing approved food premises, minimum requirements in accordance to the Australian Standards and the Food Standards Codes must be adhered to. Please see the Food premises: Design, construction and fit-out guide.

Closure of food business

Should you wish to cease trading you are required to contact Council's Customer Service Team on (08) 8080 3300.

Do you need a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS)?

Most food businesses are required to have at least one staff member trained and appointed as a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS). The training requirements must be undertaken via an approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

It is a requirement that the Food Safety Supervisor Certificate be easily accessible on the food business premises and able to be produced to an Authorised Officer upon request.

For more information please refer to the NSW Food Authority link below.