Rates and charges make up approximately 52% of the City's total revenue and are essential for:

  • Capital works around the city including footpaths, landscaping and beautification, graffiti removal, heritage preservation, roads and traffic management.
  • Maintenance of parks, reserves, stormwater drainage, bus shelters and sporting facilities.
  • Community facilities including the Waste Depot, Cemetery, Civic Centre, Library, Living Desert and Sculpture Symposium, Albert Kersten Mining and Minerals Museum, Regional Art Gallery, Visitor Information Centre and Leisure Centres.
  • Green waste collection.
  • Community activities including the annual Christmas pageant, tree give-aways, Civic Debutante Ball and Australia Day celebrations.

Manage your rates online

Methods of Payment



  1. Online Payment
    Pay Now
  2. BPAY
    Contact your bank or financial institution to make this payment. When making your payment quote Biller Code 7732 and your Customer Reference Number on the front of your notice.

  3. Direct Debit
    Use the form below to request a direct debit from your bank account to pay your rates.

Direct-Debit-Request-Form.pdf(PDF, 20KB)



Pay your rates over the phone with our Payway Phone Payment System.

Call 1300 885 175


To arrange a Centrelink Centrepay deduction, please call into your nearest Centrelink Office.


Make a cheque or money order payable to Broken Hill City Council.

Attach payment advice and post to:

Broken Hill City Council,
PO Box 448
Broken Hill NSW 2880


Present your intact rates notice to the cashier at Council's Administrative Centre, 240 Blende Street Broken Hill.

Council accepts payment by Cash, Cheque, Credit Card or Eftpos.

Cashier hours are 8:30am to 4:00pm Monday to Friday.

Australia Post

Present your intact rates notice in-store at Australia Post to pay by cash, cheque or credit card.

Pay by phone 13 18 16 or online auspost.com.au/postbillpay 

S603 Request Form

A person may apply to the council for a certificate as to the amount (if any) due or payable to the council, by way of rates, charges or otherwise, in respect of a parcel of land.

Online S603 request form

Agreement for periodical payment

Council may accept payment of rates and charges in accordance with an agreement made with the ratepayer. If you are experiencing difficulty in paying your rates , you can apply for a periodical payment below, or contact Council's customer service staff for assistance.

Application for periodical payment form