Frequently Asked Questions - Rates

How can I change my postal address?

You can complete a Change of Address form which can be found online or at the Council Office, Or alternatively you can email and advise Council of your change of address.

Does Council offer a Pensioner Concession for rates?

Yes, Council does offer a pension concession for eligible pension card holders and DVA card holders. To be eligible you must be the owner and living in the property that you are claiming a rebate on.  To apply you are required to complete a Pension Concession Application which is available online or at the Council Office.  You will need to provide proof of the pension concession you receive when applying.


Can I pay my rates via direct debit?

Yes, you can by either using Council's Direct Debit option through Westpac with frequency payment options being: weekly, fortnightly, monthly, and quarterly.  Alternatively, you can establish a B/Pay option through your financial institution.  To set up Direct Debit with Council please come into the Council Office to complete the required form.



Who Decides the Unimproved Land Value?

The NSW Valuer General reviews Broken Hill's land valuations every three years. If you have concerns about your land value, please contact Valuer General NSW on 1800 110 038 or visit


What can I do if I am having difficulty paying my rates?

Please call our Customer Relations Department on 8080 3300 to discuss options and payment arrangements.

What happens if I don’t pay my rates on time?

Interest will be applied to outstanding rates and charges after the date they become due and payable.  Debt recovery will commence for outstanding rates and charges if a mutual arrangement has not been made with Council.

Can I receive my rates via email?

Yes you can! To sign up to receive your rates via email please visit,  you will require an email address and your e-notice reference number that is supplied to you on your rates notice. Please note, if you sign up for this service you will no longer receive a posted copy of your rates. For further information, please contact Council on 08 8080 3300.

When are my Rates due?

  • 1st Instalment - 31st of August
  • 2nd Instalment - 30th of November
  • 3rd Instalment - 28th of February
  • 4th Instalment - 31st of May.

What other methods of payment can I use to pay my rates other than direct debit?

Payments for rates can be made:

  • Online
  • Over the phone by calling 1300 885 175 (Credit Card payments only)
  • At any Australia Post Office
  • At the Council Administration Building, 240 Blende Street, BROKEN HILL NSW 2880
  • BPAY