Occupation Certificate

An Occupation Certificate (also referred to as an OC) authorises the occupation and use of a building or part of a building. 

An OC can only be issued by whoever was appointed as the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA). 
You can appoint Council or a private Building Surveyor as PCA for most development.

Before an OC can be issued, the PCA must be satisfied that certain requirements are met. 
these requirements include:

  • The development must be "not inconsistent" with the DA/CDC;
  • The  building must be suitable for use for its classification under the Building Code;
  • There must not be a risk to health and safety posed by the use of the building;
  • Any conditions on the DA or CDC must be complied with.

Note: This is not an exhaustive list. There are other things the PCA must check before they can issue an OC, depending on the specifics of the development.


Council's fee for acting as the PCA for a development includes one (1) application for an OC. 
If you make more than one application (for example, for different parts of the development), you will need to pay for each subsequent application before it will be assessed.

You should make sure you understand your certifier fees are and what is included before you appoint them as PCA.

Where can I apply?

You must apply for an OC using the NSW Planning Portal.
If you lodged your Development Application using the Planning Portal, go into that application and use the "apply for related certificate" tool.