Waste collection

green garbage bin in front of brick home with a person placing a garbage bag inside.

Lookup your collection day 

Broken Hill City Council operates a kerbside household waste service for all residents on a weekly basis.

Council provides a Dark Green Mobile Garbage Bin (MGB) for household and domestic waste and a bright green lidded Bio Insert bin for green waste. 

Residents are asked to place their mobile garbage bins at the edge of the kerb, the MGB handles should be directed towards your house, with a distance of approximately one (1) metre from any sight obstructions such as trees and parked cars, otherwise your bin may not be emptied.

Collection Times:

  • Household waste bins are collected once a week between 6am and 2pm (including Public Holidays).
  • Green waste bins are collected once a fortnight between 6am and 2pm (including Public Holidays).
  • Lookup your collection days.

What can I put in my Green Waste Bin?

Green Waste Bins (or Bio Bins) are provided for the collection of organics waste which make up a large percentage of waste created by the average household. Separating this waste to be recycled into mulch helps our environment and saves valuable landfill space.

For Green Waste Bin

  • Grass clippings
  • Leaves/small prunings
  • Flowers
  • Paper and cardboard
  • Plants (remove all excess soil)
  • Tea bags/tea leaves
  • Food scraps and peels (no meat or dairy)
  • Coffee grounds and paper filters

 Not for Green Waste Bin

  • Garbage
  • Soil
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Ceramic materials Sharps (needles)
  • Disposable nappies
  • Personal hygiene products
  • Large branches
  • Cigarettes or ashes
  • Kitty litter Plastic bags (including biodegradable), bin liners, plastic, waxed paper or cardboard

Tips for an odour free Green Waste bin

  • To ensure the contents do not stick to the bottom of the bin, line with newspaper.
  • To prevent odours, place equal quantities of plant matter such as prunings and grass clippings to food scraps and kitchen waste.
  • Shredded paper also helps to create a balance in the bin and prevent odours.

My bin wasn't collected!  What do I do?

Ensure the bin was put out prior to 6:00am on the day of collection, facing the right direction, clear of obstructions.  If this is correct and Council has missed it, please complete Councils Missed Bin Request form  or phone 8080 3300 and Council will arrange to empty this for you.  

My bin is broken/has a missing lid, what can I do?

If your bin is broken or missing any parts please complete the Replacement/Repair form and Council will repair/replace your bin. If your bin has been damaged due to fire or has been stolen please note that you will need to pay to replace the bin. Please call Council on 8080 3300 if you require to make payment for a new bin.

My bin was stolen, can I have a new one?

Council can provide you with a new bin however Council does not replace stolen bins free of charge. Please contact  your landlord or real estate to arrange a replacement or if you are the property owner please contact Council on 8080 3300 to purchase a new bin.

What is the replacement cost of a General Waste or Garden Waste bin?

As outlined in the 2020/2021 Fees and charges the cost of replacing a MGB (general waste bin) is $79.00 and the cost of replacing a BIO Bin (garden waste) is $83.00. Bins that are damaged or require fixing will be replaced or fixed by the Council at no cost.

I want a second bin, Can I have an extra General waste bin service?

Yes. If you wish to have a second service this is available at a cost. The cost of have a second waste collection service is charged Pro Rata at time of request, the full year cost to have an extra Waste Bin and Collection is $325 as per Councils Fees and Charges 2022/2023 and is added to your yearly rates. If you are a tenant please contact your landlord or real estate agent, if you are the home owner please email your request to council@brokenhill.nsw.gov.au or contact council on 8080 3300.

Yellow Lid Assistance Bin Waste Services

Council provides a special waste collection service, these bins have a yellow lid and are collected from the residence instead of the kerb. This service is available where all adult persons normally resident, have a physical disability, that precludes them from placing the mobile garbage bin at kerbside.

How can I get a Yellow Lid Assistance Bin service?

A Yellow Lid Assistance Bin can be requested via email, post or by using the online form, the request will also need to include a letter from a Doctor or Health Care Professional confirming your need for an assisted Bin.

Does Broken Hill City Council hire out skip bins?

Yes Broken Hill City Council does hire out Skip Bins. Please call the Council on 8080 3300 to put in your request or email through your requirements to council@brokenhill.nsw.gov.au and someone will get back to you.