Council's Landfill provides residents with the opportunity to recycle many items.
Broken Hill's Landfill operates as a "drop off facility" for recyling. Residents are urged to separate their waste into the correct areas.
The separate areas available for residents to deposit their waste are:
- Scrap metal
- White goods
- Oils / oil filters
- Hot ashes
- Green Waste
- General Waste and
- Second Hand Shop
NEW - E Waste Collection Service
Council has partnered with other NetWaste Councils to collect E-Waste. Drop off all your old televisions, computers and computer parts at the Broken Hill Waste Management Facility to the designated drop off area for free. These items will be taken away for recycling, ensuring the re-use of valuable resources, keeping heavy metals out of the landfill and saving precious landfill space.
Other Recycling Facilities around town include:
- Channing's Bottle Yard (Newton Lane)
Channing's accepts 10c refund containers on range of products including milk cartons, juice cartons and tetra packs, soft drink cans, selected alcoholic cans and bottles, some steel cans and glass. Check for the 10c deposit symbol on your containers. Glass, non-refund alcoholic containers, and steel cans are also accepted.
- Local Supermarket's plastic bags can be recycled by placing your plastic bags in the designated bin provided at the front of the participating store.
- Broken HIll City Council
- Printer Cartridges and Mobile Telephones - all makes and models can be recycled by placing them in the box provided.
Clothes and household items - can be taken to the:
- Red Cross Society, 67 Oxide Street
- St. Vincent de Paul, 97 Argent Street
- Lifeline, 119-127 Argent Street
Remember there are many good reasons why we should recycle:
- Recycling conserves resources for our children's future
- Recycling reduces the amount of waste going to landfill
- Recycling stimulates the development of greener technologies
So reduce your waste and do the best you can to make our environment cleaner and greener by separating recyclables from your garbage bin!