Broken Hill City Council respects your privacy. Any personal information we collect from you will be handled in accordance with the Privacy & Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (the Act).
What is personal information?
Personal information is:
- information or an opinion about an individual whose identity is clear.
- information or opinion about an individual whose identity can reasonably be determined from the information or opinion.
Collection and use of information
Council and its contractors will use your information for the purpose for which it was collected. Parental or guardian permission is required to provide personal information if you are 16 years or under. Council collects the following information from users of its website which may identify them:
- Your machine’s IP address, the browser type and operating system
- The date and time spent on our website
- Pages visited
- Documents downloaded
- Previous site visited
- We appreciate hearing your feedback to improve our services and your experience with council. All feedback is voluntary.
Service or subscription requests
- Personal information provided to process online service requests, communications and subscriptions to email newsletters.
Council may use re-marketing services (sometimes called interest-based advertising) to show ads on sites across the internet to previous visitors to our websites. These services allow us to tailor our advertising and marketing content so that it is relevant and suits your needs. This is done using browser cookies, pixels and related technologies that identify whether you or the computer or mobile device you are using have previously interacted with particular web pages, web services or advertisements. Only non-personal information is collected.
Electronic Direct Mail
Council uses Electronic Direct Mail (EDM) marketing services. We will only send you an EDM if you have explicitly provided your information for this purpose. All EDMs include "update preferences" and "unsubscribe" links for managing your subscription, or unsubscribing completely.
Storage and security of personal information
Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held by Broken Hill City Council for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected it is deleted.
Your personal information will not be disclosed without your consent, in accordance with the Act, unless such disclosure is required by law.
For any enquiries about this Privacy Statement, please contact the Public Officer on 08 8080 3300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.