More debutantes needed for ball
Published on 28 May 2021
The window to nominate for the Civic Ball has been extended until June 20 due to lower than expected nominations.
At least five nominations are required for the event to go ahead on August 27, and only two nominations had been received at close of business yesterday.
Mayor Darriea Turley AM said early interest in the event hadn't yet translated into nominations.
"We actually had a number of girls interested at the start of the nomination process, but only two ended up actually registering so far, which was surprising," said Mayor Turley.
"Hopefully the extended nomination window will allow more girls to commit and share an extravagant evening with their fellow debutantes and squires."
Mayor Turley noted that it had been a tight turnaround to organise the event, but hoped the ball would still be able to go ahead.
"We only really got the green light in early May to push ahead with the event after monitoring COVID-19 restrictions.
"We knew it would be touch and go with such a narrow nomination period, but we still wanted to give the city's youth the opportunity at a glamorous night out.
"It's an important event for young adults and a local tradition, so hopefully the extended nomination window will provide the extra time needed to get a more nominations across the line."
Anyone wishing to nominate or seeking further information on the ball can contact Council's Events Officer, Shannan Botten, on 8080 3322 or email@example.com
Those wishing to nominate online can do so here.