An example of heritage restoration. Walter Sully's first store was established in 1882 in Silverton and was known as the Alpha Stores. In 1885 Sully moved to Broken Hill and erected a two storey stone building with an arch shaped galvanised iron roof. After some years the adjoining building was erected, built in two separate parts, an office in the centre building, and a grocery store. On November 29, 1907 Walter Sullys was formed into a limited company with Walter Sully as Chairman. H.B. Sweetapple joined the firm in 1887 and became the Managing Director of the new company in 1907. Mr. Sully had retired to England, where he died in 1924. Sully's provided much of the heavy machinery and equipment for the development and exploration of Broken Hill's mineral fields, such as:- explosives, candles, timber, metal, machinery, general hardware, paints, tractors, liquor and many other items. The firm had its own livery stables and blacksmiths in the yard at the rear of the buildings. The building is a two story stone structure with cellar covering the rear section of the building. The first stage c.1885 comprised a double fronted shop with staircase to gallery over and cellar under rear section. The walls were originally exposed stone with red brick quoining and parapet detailing. Prior to 1907, probably c.1900, the building was doubled in size with the erection of the two adjoining shops; these last additions incorporated offices above with cellar under rear section. The facade was unified with render detailing and a verandah erected unifying the full front elevation. By 1957, but possibly as early as 1939, all the facade detailing was removed, and rendered over with cement render. At this time a new verandah with steel posts was erected. The shopfronts are of timber and the original design was copied in the c.1900 extension to present a unified shopfront appearance. At this time the dividing pilasters were erected dividing the shopfronts with decorative quasi-corinthian capitals. The verandah had a timber framed roof of shallow convex shape, originally with finely detailed wooden posts, later replaced with steel posts of two sizes, and a concealed gutter behind the front fascia hoarding. The building had a Permanent Conservation Order over it, and is now listed on the State Heritage Register. The Walter Sully Emporium is of considerable significance because:- It was the earliest longest surviving commercial business in Broken Hill until its closure in 1985. It has been associated with two well known Broken Hill families, the Sullys (1885 -1925) and the Sweetapples (1924 - 1985). The business provided significant heavy machinery and associated equipment and material for the development of the Broken Hill mining industry. It contributes an important and strong element to the Argent Street streetscape. The interior generally survives in original condition. The upper floors retain early finishes which, although now in poor condition, provide a catalogue of decorative finishes utilised in Broken Hill c.1900 c.1940.