Located at the Albert Kersten Mining and Minerals Museum, Corner of Bromide and Crystal
The Silver Tree is one of Broken Hill's most famous and exquisite displays. This centrepiece, which previously adorned Charles Rasp's dining room table, comprises from a hollow base beaten from a single sheet of silver, ornamented with Indigenous Australians, emus, kangaroos, sheep and a Drover on horse back, depicting the local area.
The silver mark indicates that the work was crafted by Adelaide silversmith Henry Steiner in 1879-1880, for the 1880 Royal Melbourne Colonial Exhibition. In 1886, ownership of the Silver Tree, originally known as "The Boundary Rider Epergne" passed from Steiner to another Adelaide silversmith, August Brunkhorst, who exhibited it at the Colonial and Indian Exhibition held in London in the same year. Shortly afterwards, Brunkhorst sold it to Charles Rasp for his residence, "Willyama" in Medindie, South Australia.
The Silver Tree became a part of the Estate of Rasp's widow, Agnes. After her death it was sold at auction. In 1975, the Silver Tree was purchased by the Broken Hill City Council from the late W.C. Gall of Langawirra Station.
The Silver Tree remained the centrepiece of the Broken Hill Regional Art Gallery, before being moved to it's new home at the Albert Kersten Mining and Minerals Museum, where it's intricate design work continues to capture the imagination and awe of visitors and locals alike.
- Albert Kersten Mining and Minerals Museum
- Phone: 08 8080 3500