Council is currently considering reducing the operating hours at the Broken Hill Regional Art Gallery, Geocentre and Broken Hill City Library. Here is what has informed the process so far, including a link to detailed fact sheets at the bottom of the page.
- This review is NOT about cutting staff hours, or staff numbers at the GeoCentre, Library or Art Gallery.
- This review IS about giving staff time away from the front counter to complete vital strategic planning, asset management, and maintenance work that is currently not being completed.
- Council is currently operating tourism-driven facilities at maximum capacity during the city’s quietest tourism season. This is inefficient and a poor use of staff time and ratepayer dollars.
- Council is currently operating its library to levels well above the industry standard.
- The proposed new hours currently on display are tentative at this stage, and are open for consultation until May 30. All users are encouraged to provide their feedback via a submission to the General Manager.
- The alternative to reducing operating hours at these services is to hire more staff, which would in turn lead to an increase in residents’ rates.
Find fact sheets on the three services here.
*Please note that around 5000 program participants and exhibition opening attendees are not included in the listed Gallery’s visitation numbers.