Council will be reducing the operating hours at the Broken Hill Regional Art Gallery, Geocentre and Broken Hill City Library. Here is what has informed the process so far, including a link to detailed fact sheets.
- This reduction is NOT about cutting staff hours, or staff numbers at the GeoCentre, Library or Art Gallery.
- This reduction IS about giving staff time away from the front counter to complete vital strategic planning, asset management, and maintenance work that is currently not being completed.
- Council is currently operating tourism-driven facilities at maximum capacity during the city’s quietest tourism season. This is inefficient and a poor use of staff time and ratepayer dollars.
- Council is currently operating its library to levels well above the industry standard.
- The new hours currently on display will be reviewed after six months
- The alternative to reducing operating hours at these services was to hire more staff, which would in turn lead to an increase in residents’ rates.
- Extensive consultation was conducted during the 28 day public exhibition period
Find fact sheets on the three services here.
*Please note that around 5000 program participants and exhibition opening attendees are not included in the listed Gallery’s visitation numbers.
The new hours will come into effect mid-august and are as follows -
Monday, Tuesday, Friday: 9am-4pm
Wednesday, Thursday: 9am-6pm
Monday-Saturday: 11am to 4pm
March-November School Holidays
Monday-Saturday: 10am to 4pm
Tuesday-Sunday: 10am to 4pm
March November School Holidays