Rates and Charges make up approximately 52% of the City's total revenue and are essential for:
- Capital works around the city including footpaths, landscaping and beautification, graffiti removal, heritage preservation, roads and traffic management.
- Maintenance of parks, reserves, stormwater drainage, bus shelters and sporting facilities.
- Community facilities including the Waste Depot, Cemetery, Civic Centre, Library, Living Desert and Sculpture Symposium, Albert Kersten Mining and Minerals Museum, Regional Art Gallery, Visitor Information Centre and Leisure Centres.
- Community Services including Aged Care Facilities, HACC Centre, Disability Services, Carer Respite, Books on Wheels, Animal Control and Green Waste Collection.
- Community Activities including the Annual Christmas Pageant, Local Government Week, Tree Give-Away's, Civic Debutante Ball and Australia Day Celebrations.